4.26.2006

Bombed and Beaten

If you look very closely at the picture you will find a man standing in the midst of the rubble. This city is Koln, a bombed out town in Germany, after World War II. This how I often view my life in the midst of sin. My life is bombed out. It is trashed and torn. I am that man sitting there observing and looking at the mess. I constantly go back to the same thing. I am the dog that returns to his vomit. Why do we do this? What is it about the grace of Christ that our mind and body cannot execpt? Why can we not just sit in praise for hours on in? Why can't we just see that we are free from the chains that bind us?

How do we respond to this? I have fought the battle for grace for a while now. I have learned to embrace it. I have learned to try and understand the cost of the cross. Just recently compared myself to a soilder at war. If you get wounded in the field you don't jsut drop dead and wait for the enemy. You apply pressure and run to safety. Too often we lay down and bleed to death on the battle field. We are infected with guilt and shame. We need to learn to boast and live in grace. We have been set free from the bondages of sin. When we sin we should run towards Jesus wounded and bloodied. Torn and broken. Weak and weary...

No comments: