3.29.2007

Resurrecting

I have been reading a book recently titled, The Irresistible Revolution.  It is by a guy named Shane Claireborne.  He is just a regular guy who wanted to write a book about being an ordinary radical.  He started a small community of Jesus followers called The Simple Way in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  In his book he has a chapter entitled Resurrecting the Church.  I won't spoil it for you, but I will tell you about this principle.

Shane goes in depth to show how Christianity is about resurrecting the culture around it.  Jesus was famous for this.  He would take everyday normal situations and bring them to meet theological realities.  He constantly makes the humanity of people much more important than the everyday dredge of life.  Rob Bell says in his book Velvet Elvis that it is out job to call out the truth in the world around us.

I am currently looking into the business of resurrecting the things around me.  How can I make a difference in little ways by claiming the truth of Gospel inside all parts of culture?  I think a lot of just being intentional about thinking.  I am so often completely thoughtless... blowing in the wind.  I want to try and turn on my brain so I am aware of the things around me.

Here is a list of things I am currently resurrecting:

Environmental Awareness

I want to be more conscious about how I destroy the environment.  How can I be better at conserving energy?  How can I travel less or more efficiently?  How can I single handedly stop the encroachment of the apartments in Clemson?  More on this coming soon!!!

The Boy Scout "Do a Good Turn Daily"

How can I do this without being a cheese ball and/or responding like a TV evangelist?  I want to be more in tune about helping out people in little ways.  Wether it be a couple bucks here or returning the plastic baskets to the counter at a popular Clemson restaurant, I want to make a small difference in people's lives everyday.

Its a small list, but I'm working on it.

I what ways can you resurrect the culture around you? Leave a comment!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Dude, this isn't so much a thought about ressurecting culture as it is a I FREEKIN' TOLD YOU THAT BOOK IS AWESOME!!

I love you man!