3.28.2007

See

I would say that the majority of people come to church because of the music they hear on Sundays. Growing up, music was a constant battle in my church. I remember the struggle of power between the pastor and the Staff-Parish Relations board. My mom would come home and vent about the ‘old fogies’ that thought that hymns should never be replaced, and that drums were not an acceptable form of worship. Music, among other superficial disagreement, has divided and ended countless churches.

Churches want to be identified for some reason. The first thing you see on church signs, despite the incredibly effective evangelistic messages, are the times for ‘traditional’ and ‘contemporary’ services. Some churches have taken it a step further and completely let go of the conservative traditions that defined ‘church’ in our parent’s generation. I have been in both situations, and I find myself in one word: disappointed.


Too many times I hear churches and parachurch ministries attempting to do something amazing in their weekly gathering to bring people in. I cannot ignore the fact the humans are inherently curious, but curiosity only goes so far without action. Not to be cliché, I believe that seeing is believing. I think much of the world works this way.

What would it look like if we decided to present ourselves as the Church to the people we are called to minister to? Advertising, videos, and skits are great and all, but what is the point if the church isn’t moving? I know with my bout in creative meetings, I have spent far too many hours thinking about how to bring people in instead of thinking about how to send people out.

My challenge to all those who work, or lead, creativity teams is to spend more time thinking about the how your faith community can meet the needs of the community that surrounds you. How can the Church be present? How can you communicate this mission to those who normally attend your gatherings? How can you provide a way to meet the needs of the people who filter in from the community to your gathering? I think these question have much more important answers than, “Which announcements do we announce?”

One of my good friends tells this story:

“I was thinking while sitting in my mom’s church in Pennsylvania during communion, ‘What if a homeless man was here taking this with me?’ He would pass the plate as he received a small wafer. He would take a small cup of juice as the silver-plated tray is passed around. On cue he would take part in the most holy sacrament in Christianity. In the end he would leave with nothing, but a bad taste in his mouth and a dissatisfied hunger for something more.”

Is this all the church has to offer? Stale crackers and a small cup of grape juice?
I believe that it is true: Seeing is believing. If we want to people to believe in Jesus, and his Church, we must show them the Jesus that’s in our everyday lives and ministry. I think it is time to give people more than tasteless crackers and bland grape juice. It is time to bring people the saving body and redeeming blood of Jesus.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Trey,
I want you to know that I've been waiting for your "see" blog for forever.
I totally agree with you that without action, people who come to the church hungry are still going to be hungry. And people who come for music will get their music, and still be hungry.
It's not only that we can't serve our community's without action, but, if we take the inward focus that the church has been taking, we can't be wholly fulfilled until we are focusing on others instead of our selfs.
If you visit churches around the globe, it may be surprising how outward their focuses are, and how fruitful they are. I still want to recommend the book Irresistible Revolution. Pick it up.

I love you man. See you soon!
-mike