6.27.2006

Life Of Video

I have been having some amazing talks with some people lately about worship and why we do it. As a tech guy it is always hard to take away something from worship. I always have a hard time concentrating on the speaker. I hardly ever get anything from the message the first time around because I am so worried about what video element is next or when to put up the speaker's computer graphics he wants to use. Most of the time I get my teacing in the car when I am by myself and can listen intently while driving.

I had a conversation today with a friend I had met here at the church. His name is Marcello. He is from Equador. He is the director of lighting for the creative department. You want to talk about a guy who has a gift... this is the man. He is incredibly talented. We talked about our purpose during worship. Why is it we do what we do? What does it enhance?

I came to this conclusion with my friend Ryan this weekend. My purpose is recall. Recall is the brain's ability to store and revisit information learned way past the time it was first introduced. Many people have trouble with this. It is the reason why we have to study or repeat a certain task. Often times we have to use devices inorder to enhance our ability to recall information. This devices include mnemonics, classical conditioning, and word association. Everyone knows the order to do math problems because the remembered to "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally."

In the past few decades our culture has become very vision oriented. We have discovered that certain colors establish certain moods. Images can recall feelings, time periods, even smells. This is where I found my purpose. My purpose is to associate images to a speaker's message. A message that relates the hope of Glory to middle schoolers, college kids, and lost people. If I can display a picture during a worship experience that will assist in the recalling of a state of woship or particular information, then I have achieved a win.

This is my form of worship. Establishing a connection between the mind and God's message through the use of media and I love it. I live for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey dude, it's A.F. So yeah, it's like 4 am not sure what i'm doing up but i saw that you got to meet/talk with marcello!! dude, he's sweet. He helped me with load-in at BS with hanging/positioning lights. The dude is a mad man!