5.15.2007

Wanting to Know

"As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things." -Solomon

I got an email this morning from a friend who just recently headed out to Africa for two weeks.  He is on the last leg of his journey adn will be arriving back state side on Saturday.  In his email he said this:

"So, for now, I can say: there are relatively few things I know; many things I simply do not know; some things I thought I knew; and a few things I am perhaps on the way toward knowing."

What is it inside us that makes us think that we know everything?  I have been watching, near obsessing, over the show Heroes.  There is a devious villain known as Sylar who is an excellent example of our necessity to know.  The producers allude to his obsession for knowledge and greed by using the sound of clocks every time he is around.  His mind craves to know what makes the other characters he meets tick.  He also will do anything thing to obtain that knowledge, including murder.  I can't tell you how many times in my life I have told God, "I just want to know why, God!  And I will do anything to know your reason."  I too haev a necessity to know.

There is something inside us that needs to know everything, but this week I have realized as Solomon realized: The things of God are meant to be a mystery.  We, His people, should find beauty in the complex God that He is.  For in his complexity we find Glory.

I want to learn to just be caught in the Flood.  The overwhelming and calm waters of Christ.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Rabbi joshua heschel prays this:
"Dear Lord, grant me the grace of wonder. Surprise me, amaze me, awe me in every crevice of Your universe. Delight me to see how Your Christ plays in ten thousand places, lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not His, to the Father through the features of men's faces. Each day enrapture me with Your marvelous things without number. I do not ask to see the reason for it all; I ask only to share the wonder of it all."

dang. Old guys are smart.

Elleth said...

i just miss you

and lauren

and im so sad you are gone

sorry i missed your call- parents were in town for four hours- and you happened to call during that time. sorry, bud.