12.25.2006

Awkward Moments

1. Greeters who bust you down to give you a bulletin

I am not sure if I am the only one who experienced this on Christmas Eve, but I was nearly chased down when I reentered the church by greeters who wanted to give me a bulletin. A) I think you are wasting paper giving me something that merely tells me what I am about to see. B) I just got finished being chased down by the other lady.

2. Unexplained Scripture

If you choose it use it! God's word needs to be talked through. At the church I went to this eve of Christmas we were read a passage from Isaiah that was full of God's judgment on his people. It was a very different way of hearing God speak, but it was never actually explained. If I were a first time comer I would have been lost in the words of a God who hates the wicked... Granted he does, but an explanation would be nice to have about why God despises the wicked and desires justice and righteousness for the oppressed. I have found that this lesson is one of the most important lessons to teach in the area I grew up in... but that is for a later time.

3) Archaic words without meaning

Define for me: Thither
Why is it that "swaddling" is reserved only for baby Jesus?

4) Hymns that don't go as planned

The generation that is growing up in church today is very distant from hymns. This is sad because many of them are beautiful. Its so awkward through when hymns are sung and the audience isn't sure how to sing it. They are all alone in their mumble.

5) "True God of True God"

What does this mean? I know its in the Nicene Creed, but its very perplexing

All of these things happened in one church service tonight. It also included a nice butt crack in front of me and my mom during Oh Come All Ye Faithful. My mom turned to be and laughed saying... "Oh I didn't come for that!" I am not being critical of this church. I just felt lost in the crazy awkwardness.

Jesus is born today... He came as normal human being, but divine in spirit. He died for me and you so that we may live eternally. God is near... He invites you to his table.

Come and eat the Bread of Life

1 comment:

Elleth said...

yo. leigha has facebook pictures up. check it out!

thanks for the call and Merry Christmas!