2.13.2007

6:30AM :: A Prayer For Atlanta :: Part 1

Atlanta has been on my heart. This is the beginning of week long series that will contain a prayer/scripture/comments for the city of Atlanta. I plan to wake up at 6:30AM for one full week and pray for the city. Please feel free to post your prayers in addition to mine. Maybe Atlanta isn't the city on your heart. Pray for your city... the one God has you hurting for. 1 Sentence... 2 paragraphs... Just pray...

Restoration

God, the Holy One who has chosen me, you are beautiful and wonderful. My hands are lifted high because you have brought me out of the pit of sin. I am claimed by the grace of Christ and I am thankful. I ask that your freedom come to Atlanta. I ask that you are seen above all things. I confess of neglecting the homeless, and the despondent. Rework my view of the gospel. Jesus, as you taught us to pray, "Your kingdom come and your will be done on Earth as it is in heaven." We are in your kingdom now. We are the vessels, the hands and feet, the shakers and movers, of your active and living restoration. We stand in the midst of your restoration. Sometimes we see only ruin. Give us sight like you have. Give us the ability to see what you have begun to restore. Jesus, I want to be a curator of the world. I need a master to teach me how to bring art back to its original beauty. I need someone to help me paint, hand in hand, so that your work may be completed. I pray these things specifically for Atlanta. I pray for the suburban church; that they would have a unbridled passion for claiming the city of Atlanta. I pray that we may do it for the sake of the humanity of others, a representation of your Glory on Earth. May I see those whom are different for who they are and for whom they will be when restored in the merciful and graceful hands of the master. In Jesus' name, the one who was, and is, and is to come, Amen.

1 comment:

Leigha said...

It is interesting that Trey should post this as yesterday I was heavily burdened by the city where my brother is going to school. Ashland, Oregon is the most un-churched city in the United States. The feel there is very "hippie" but not in a free love way, in a "try all drugs and live your life way". They [especially the college kids] are open to doing whatever it is that brings pleasure, none of which include Jesus. My brother has not one Christian friend and acquaintance at his school and has no intentions of looking for those who are there. Ashland needs Jesus very badly, it is a city that has gotten it all wrong. Please be praying for Ashland, and if you think about it, my brother who is there.