2.05.2007

Midtown

Well, yesterday I got to hang out with the senior pastor of Grace Fellowship. It was an awkward lunch at first, but it loosened up and I was able to really enjoy it. I hope he enjoyed it as well.



Afterwards, Lauren and I spent some time in Starbucks before heading down to Midtown Community Fellowship. Midtown is where i would possibly work in a few months. I was blown away at what was happening down there. God is moving in huge ways. The church is in an old Baptist church building. It has pews still, which is pretty amazing for its feel. It is primarily college aged, but there were a few people who were older.



I was blown away at the potential this church has. I was reading this morning in 1 Corinthians 4. This is what it said:



"It seems to me that God
has put us who bear his Message on stage in a theater in which no one
wants to buy a ticket. We're something everyone stands around and
stares at, like an accident in the street. We're the Messiah's misfits.
You might be sure of yourselves, but we live in the midst of frailties
and uncertainties. You might be well-thought-of by others, but we're
mostly kicked around. Much of the time we don't have enough to eat, we
wear patched and threadbare clothes, we get doors slammed in our faces,
and we pick up odd jobs anywhere we can to eke out a living. When they
call us names, we say, "God bless you." When they spread rumors about
us, we put in a good word for them. We're treated like garbage, potato
peelings from the culture's kitchen. And it's not getting any better."



This to me shows a radical type of living. It demonstrates a living for only the gospel. I want that. I want to be a part of the 'Messiah's misfits.' How do I do that? I'm not sure, but I am praying for it.



I see this type of living and presence possible at Midtown. Its a counter cultural living. In this passage I find people giving up what makes them comfortable for the sake of Jesus. Wow... I want to be like that.

No comments: